Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mile 11 – HOW YOGA SAVED MY LIFE AND MY A$$

A tip a day to keep the rejections away 
 
You can't read a "marathon" of writing tips without some plug for exercise, right?
As one of my cherished CPs laments:  “Writing does broaden one’s butt.”

 
Specifically, sitting at a computer all day tightens my hip flexors.

Uh...what's a hip flexor?  Let me show you...
This is how to stretch it.

 
Come on now, do it. 
Just kidding!  That's some serious torture!
 
Try this instead.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Every day I perform at least a portion of my favorite yoga poses (such as legs up the wall, and anything that opens up the hip).  But every body has different needs, so the best yoga poses for you might not be the same.  So instead of sharing my favorite poses, I'll share my favorite instructors.  Below are three great yoga teachers who have both an online presence and DVD or book options.  I strongly urge you to try this out.  Trust me, with time and effort, yoga does make you feel better. 



Ekhart yoga - strong you tube presence
each video geared towards a specific body goal


Jill Miller - great DVDs, her therapy balls are fabulous,
and she always talks about anatomy--which I totally love


Sage Rountree - her book "Athlete's Guide to yoga" is great
and she's super nice and helpful on twitter!
 
But these are just the at home options.  I strongly suggest that if you like this sort of thing, that you find a local yoga studio.  It really helps to have an instructor in the room to assist you in performing the poses properly. 
 
 
 
AND IF YOGA IS JUST NOT YOUR THING...GO FOR A WALK INSTEAD
 
Whenever I’m trying to write but I'm just "stuck" on something, I get out of my chair and hit the road.  Going for a walk helps my mind work better.  Inevitably, when I’m about a mile away from my house (without pen or paper, I might add), my mind calms down enough to solve my problem.  Works every time.

 

Don’t get so wrapped up in your own head that you can’t enjoy the world around you.  There’s beauty to be found each and every day in nature.

 

 
So...am I handing out writing rules or life rules?  I'm not sure.  Maybe they're the same thing, after all.  See you tomorrow for Mile 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment